Sunday, December 5, 2010

Good Luck, bad Luck, who knows?

Good Luck, Bad Luck

A father and his son owned a farm.
They did not have many animals, but they did own a horse. One day the horse ran away.
"How terrible, what bad luck," said the neighbours.
"Good luck, bad luck, who knows?" replied the farmer.

Several weeks later the horse returned, bringing with him four wild mares.
"What marvellous luck," said the neighbours.
"Good luck, bad luck, who knows?" replied the farmer.

The son began to learn to ride the wild horses, but one day he was thrown and broke his leg.
"What bad luck," said the neighbours.
"Good luck, bad luck, who knows?" replied the farmer.

The next week the army came to the village to take all the young men to war.
The farmer’s son was still disabled with his broken leg, so he was spared.
"Good luck, bad luck, who knows?"


This week has been a battle for me, I'm really wanting to feel my way through this bit of bumpy road instead of just stuffing it down and forgetting about it.  But it's not easy.  Repressing our difficult emotions seems like the simplest thing to do during times like these - but that pain doesn't disappear just because we ignore it.  Nope, in fact it just festers inside us until it starts seeping out into our lives in ways we often don't even recognize.  By the time it gets to that point we've forgotten that we had forgotten about what ever it was we had tried to stuff down.  We're left feeling confused and wondering when we became so sad or so angry...so whatever.   Best to just feel the feelings right away, just burn right through 'em - afterall, they're just our emotions and our emotions can't hurt us. It only seems like they can. When we surrender and feel our way through we can turn obstacles into opportunities.

This whole experience has been quite the awakening though.  It's pretty mind blowing when I think about how fast I got knocked off track. Just when I finally had gotten to a point in my life where I wasn't taking myself out anymore, the universe gets in there and gives me a shove!  What gives?  Whatever the reason, I know the way through is gratitude and I'm trying to see the perfection in even this experience.  The little story above has been a good reminder.
There is more happening within us and around us that meets the eye,
Love B